Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Folklore in Shakespeare

After my last analysis of the Jew in England and the folklore that I'm sure Shakespeare knew about Jews, I was extremely intrigued to see if anyone else had done research on folklore from the time period and how that is represented in Shakespeare's plays. That would be an extremely interesting paper topic to me after my experience in my folklore class. I could focus on the importance of folklore in cultural literacy and how this is displayed in literary works. I'm hoping to find research articles on this, but anyone seen anything that might point me in the right direction?

UPDATE:

Look what I found right away by searching Twitter!! :) It's a book on folklore in Shakespeare! AND the book is online for free because it's in the public domain!


I looked up the author of the book, T. F. Thiselton-Dyer. He lived in the late 19th century and looks totally awesome!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! You'll have to keep me posted on what you find out! I love the folklore aspect of Shakespeare and I'm curious to see where you take this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved both posts Bri about Shakespeare and Jews. I will be interested to know what you think of the BYU production. If you get a chance, you should take a look at my blog before you go...you might have some interesting thoughts on the questions I ask at the end.

    custermiklavicarielle382.blogspot.com/2012/01/byu-production-of-merchant-of-venice.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri, way to go in looking for sources being mentioned on Twitter. Did you follow or otherwise try to contact the person that shared that info on Twitter (Lucinda Thorsen)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I retweeted Maudebrl's tweet and then replied to her and wrote: "thank you for tweeting this! I'm researching Shakespeare and folklore and school. Have you read this book?" So far I haven't received any response. I retweeted her on Jan 25th.

    ReplyDelete