Friday, March 30, 2012

Call Me Butter cause Im on a Roll: Why Digital Folklorists are the Best People to Know

I just got an email back from Trevor Blank who is pretty much THE leading scholar in the field of Digital Folklore (he wrote the book). He said he'd be happy to mentor me as I continue my research. He is really funny and enthusiastic too - he wrote four postscripts to his email (two in separate emails. Lol).

I'm going to send him my annotated bibliography of articles and books I think I should research and see if he has anything to add (or take away) and he has promised to hook me up with Jorgensen who he went to school with at IU.

Unfortunately I missed the boat on collaborating with them on their Digital Folklore panel for AFS2012 cause he already submitted it, but he says he's always happy to work with students.

He also let me know of work that is upcoming about Digital Folklore which I'm now excited to read in the coming years: "another edited volume, Tradition in the Twenty-First Century (which hits on some of your interests in Digital Age stuff impacting tradition) will be out in Spring/ Summer 2013, and my first solo-authored book, The Last Laugh: Folk Humor, Celebrity Culture, and Mass-Mediated Disasters in the Digital Age will be out in Fall 2013".

Anyways, I'm excited to have his support. Thanks Trevor!

---------

Update:

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention this for you Dr. Burton:

"We have several grad students at Penn State Harrisburg who also went to BYU, and when I asked, they remembered your professor, Gideon Burton. I wonder if you know any of them! "



No comments:

Post a Comment