Friday, March 16, 2012

Research Connections - Ashley and Ellie

Ashley and Ellie and I couldn't meet via Google Hangout as planned, so we did a group chat to try to find a string of logic or similar theme throughout all of our papers that we could use to tie them together. We came up with some really great ideas during our chat. I've posted the chat below so you can view our process. I've highlighted major theses development.


10:12 AM ashley.lewis.2432@gmail.com has joined
  Arielle has joined
 me: hey! :)
 Arielle: :-)
  sorry about that
 me: np
 Arielle: I have a project due next class so I will need to get off around 10:30
  what is going on?
10:13 AM me: ok we'll make it short
 Arielle: what has been said so far
  ?
 me: we waited for ya
 Arielle: oh thank you
 me: so let's discuss connections to your paper first ellie
  ashley, what connections did you see in your paper to ellies and ellie to ashley?
10:14 AM I thought you both drew on the concept of the persona and talked about not being able to take control of identity in the characters of ophelia and hamlet
 Arielle: I agree
10:15 AM ashley.lewis.2432: exactly, the psychological affects of situation
  *effects
10:16 AM Arielle: I saw a connection from what Ashley saying about Ophelia not being able to express herself -as an inability of the unconscious and the conscious self to integrate. Both Hamlet and Ophelia could not integrate and therefore their "self" dies
  it was very fun to read your paper Ashley
10:17 AM ashley.lewis.2432: Thank you :)
 Arielle: :-) YW
  What about you Bri
  what are some obvious connections between the two
  of our papers to yours
  do see any?
 me: yep. but it was tricky cause i changed directions a bit with where i'm going with the ending
10:19 AM Arielle: Ashely we just lost Bri
 me: wait
  found it
 Arielle: you got it
  !
 me: weird
10:20 AM technology. anyways
  i wondered if the revenge cycle was something that showed up in folklore so I did some preliminary research and it does. that's a loose tie we could follw up on...
 Arielle: cool
10:21 AM me: but i think the better one is the importance of ability to work with images (and mediums: ie. new images that could help hamlet besides his father and new tech that holds new
kinds of folklore) thatare unfamiliar to us instead of hanging onto the familiar: father and traditional means of studying folklore.
  does that make sense?
 Arielle: sure
 ashley.lewis.2432: yes
 Arielle: so how would we connect that with Ashley's paper
  ...that Ophelia was unable to integrate the images of the unconscious
  because the males in her life
  would not let her?
10:22 AM me: yeah, i think we could work that angle as a thread through all our papers
  do you think ashley?
10:24 AM or talk abou tthe development of identity. hamlet with his unconscious images, ophelia with choosing to find her own identity instead of one defined for her, and modern folk through the internet
  (i talk about a fear of defining yourself online in my paper)
 ashley.lewis.2432: That might work. I feel like with all three papers there is an influence of words and information upon making decisions and forming opinions, as well.
10:25 AM me: can you explain further?
10:26 AM Arielle: so Bri in other words you are saying...media can help us to become whole by giving us the power to define ourselves and integrate those unconscious images that rise through the stories that are displayed?
 me: yes, instead of having others define us by not knowing much about us...
  as well
 Arielle: hmm...I like it
10:27 AM couldn't academics argue that the interenet is the wrong place to define ourselves
  because we can give a false view of who we are
  and integrate the wrong images?
 me: couldn't you do that anywhere just as much as the internet?
 ashley.lewis.2432: With your paper, you talk about how folklore affects people, which you show nicely through the historical references (such as the treatment of Jewish people) and through the modern references such as the rat story
10:28 AM me: @ashley, right.
  the "power" of folklore
  @arielle - or do you mean like people pretending to be someone else entirely and that being easier to do on the internet, i guess we could present that as a pro/con argument as well
10:29 AM Arielle: yes
 ashley.lewis.2432: Yes, and with Ellie's paper, the power of symbols upon Hamlet and his decisions.
 me: @ashley, and then hamlet and her dad and brother's words upon ophelia?
10:30 AM ashley.lewis.2432: Yes
 me: yeah, that is another way to string the arguments together.
10:31 AM Arielle: so maybe we should take it from this angle-in times past folklore was shared through speech-media has given us a different avenue to display folklore. we should be studying (paying attention) to these stories as they will help us to integrate the images, defining a healthier sense of self, that are important to wholeness just as the verbal stories of old did for its people
10:32 AM me: what about ophelia though?
 Arielle: thats where "defining a healthier sense of self"
  comes into play
  was what I was thinking
 me: ok i can see that
 Arielle: but we could take it a step further
 me: so that we don't drown in a loss of identity ;)
 Arielle: haha
 ashley.lewis.2432: That would work. haha
 Arielle: exactly
 me: how could we take it a step further?
10:33 AM you were saying
 Arielle: well, you just did!
 me: ah. lol
  I think we have two solid lines of logic then. We need to wrap up since Ellie has to go. So anything else you want to add?
 Arielle: sorry
 me: oh no!
  not at all!
 ashley.lewis.2432: no problem :)
 me: i think weve done GREAT work here!
 ashley.lewis.2432: agreed :)
 Arielle: cool. thanks ladies
 me: Do you two mind if I post this conversation?
10:34 AM Arielle: nope
 me: To show our process
 ashley.lewis.2432: That would be great.
 me: sweet. post it at yoru blogs too if you want!
  :)
 Arielle: I will most likely make a post linking to yours
  ;-)
 me: ok! :)
 Arielle: cool
 ashley.lewis.2432: As will I
 Arielle: ok see ya guys!
 me: Have a great weekend you two!
 Arielle has left
 ashley.lewis.2432: Bye! :)
 me: bye

2 comments:

  1. I think this is really awesome. Really convenient way for your guys to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Bri. Really helpful to have this up so we can remember our discussion. Lets decide on a follow-up time to move forward with this. :-)

    ReplyDelete