Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Paper directions

After a long chat with Dr. Burton, my professor, I think I've got a good direction and audience for my paper. I'm going to try to aim for graduate students of folklore with the intent of persuading the future folklore community that folklore on the Internet needs to be taken more seriously and studied more widely.

The best format that is most likely to reach my intended is, ironically, not a digital one. So I'm aiming to create a longer paper and a twenty minute presentation and to find some folklore conferences where I can submit an abstract. I have a ton of research to do to better my paper, much of it social, in the next four weeks. But maybe my paper can really have an impact.

The Shakespeare context angle works great to support my argument and I can throw the audience a bone here and there with a supportive quote from the primary text.

Overall, I'm pretty stoked for what comes next. My game plan is to contact two professors of folklore, one here, one at the U, and read the book Dr. Eliason recommended (at least the intro and skim the rest). Then check our whatever resources they direct me to and really solidify my paper. Then create an abstract and start submitting to conferences. Then create a presentation and find another way to test the waters and validate my ideas through social proof. Then speak at a conference or two and see what happens from there. The final steps may take place after the course is finished but that's ok with me because I'm passionate about the subject!

---------

Also, I want to do a google hangout with whoever from our class wants to see if we can connect our ideas. I'm going to email ashley and Ellie do far but if anyone else wants to hang out sometime this week send me your gmail address. I'm going to make a screen capture of it so we can reflect back on the ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment