Monday, February 6, 2012

Settling on a Paper Topic

I seriously love the thumbnail Youtube chose for this video ... oh so flattering. 

This is a 3 min video of me brainstorming my paper topic. I think I've finally landed on something. 


So because of the research I've done today, I have a few people I can talk to for my "social proof" - finding an audience who is invested in what I'm talking about already and talking with them about my ideas/ getting feedback. I'm super nervous to even approach these people, but here's the reasons why I think each of them might work and as soon as I can think of interesting questions to ask them and write what I consider a worthy email about my ideas, I will.

  • Maria Tatar is a professor of folklore, mythology and Germanic languages and literature at Harvard; one of the authors who recently wrote to the National Book Foundation, asking the organization to reconsider its exclusion of retold fairy and folk tales from NBA consideration.
  • Kate Bernheimer is the founder and editor of the Fairy Tale Review, a literary journal, and editor of a sumptuous new book of short stories based on fairy tales, “My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me"-  one of the authors who recently wrote to the National Book Foundation, asking the organization to reconsider its exclusion of retold fairy and folk tales from NBA consideration.
  • Neil Gaiman - author of comic books (and stardust) and contributor to "My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me"; Ask him about the importance of folklore according to him. Mention the article that mentions him from Salon.com. 
  • Kevin Klassen, Artistic Co-Chair of Shakespeare in the Ruins who writes post about Shakespeare being for everyone, even children. Canada's SIR's mission is to foster a love of Shakespeare and live theatre, especially among youth. Ask him why Shakespeare? ... Because he's timeless, perhaps because he reiterates folklore which is timeless because it addresses the anxieties and tensions we encounter in our culture? 
  • Laura Miller - author/ co-founder at Salon.com where I found my article on the NBA not accepting fairy tales, frequent contributor to the New York Times Book Review.

1 comment:

  1. Bri, I love the thumbnail! :) And your son is adorable in the background. I'm excited to watch your research, and I'm glad others are doing videos!

    ReplyDelete