Monday, February 20, 2012

Progress Report: Phases 1 and 2 of Research Paper

I'm required to document my research and writing process for the Shakespeare research paper I'm doing this month. According to the assignment instructions, here are the components I must include. If I have met those requirements, I have included a link to a post or posts that document my efforts for that component:

Phase 1
Exploration
I did a couple of posts to explore my topic. I first found interest when I wrote this post about Jews in England and the folklore surrounding them in Shakespeare's time. Then I did a Twitter search and found THE leading work on the topic by Thiselton Dyer. Then I found both an essay and a Cardiff University course on my topic. Then I really started to explore a thesis for my topic. Then I settled on my paper topic and solidified what my thesis was by talking about it out loud. 
Textual Analysis
I didn't do this post till later, but I finally figured out what I wanted to do with my textual analysis post and performed digital analysis
Social Proof (finding) - 
I found a ton of people to contact and did a sort of annotated contact list. I did a google blog search and found a Shakespeare troupe, Shakespeare in the Ruins, the vice-chair of whom I wrote about my thesis. He wrote me back!

Phase 2
Performance Analysis -
 I skipped this one, for lack of time in catching up from being sick. Sorry!
Annotated Bibliography
Digital media and online resources
I found a youtube video of a folktale behind Hamlet and posted about it. I had success with a google alert.
Social Proof (contacting)
I contacted two more people. Patrick Ryan who is a storyteller that wrote a picture book about Shakespeare and Folklore and Susan Nyikos who is a professor of English at Utah State University and teaches about Shakespeare and folklore. 

Phase 3
"Tweethis" statement - I think I've almost got my thesis down to a tweetable statement but it is difficult because there are so many components of my argument that build upon one another. 
Posted draft with peer interaction
Evaluation of a peer's draft

No comments:

Post a Comment