Thursday, February 9, 2012

Shakespeare in the Ruins Reply

Yes!!!! It worked! I'm now excited to look for evidence of scholarly scorn towards A Midsummer Night's Dream and to take a look at The Striker (see below). This social proof thing is kind of exhilarating when it works. I've been in several of Dr. Burton's classes and this has always been the aspect of his teaching that intimidates me most and always seems to fall by the wayside, but not so this time!

Here's Kevin's response:

Hi Bri!

How great to receive your e-mail! It's always a relief to know that someone is reading those things...

I love your thesis, and I definitely concur. As a matter of coincidence, the next show that SIR will be "stripping down" for this fall's tour is A Midsummer Night's Dream which, as I'm sure you know, is bubbling over with folklore and fairy tale references, and is almost certainly Shakespeare's most popular and most produced comedy. In my experience, it also tends to be the subject of a certain level of scorn among "serious" scholars as well as actors, which, as you appear to be suggesting, is likely no coincidence.

I would be thrilled if you decided to reference my story, particularly if it in any way helps to promote Shakespeare in the Ruins (perhaps a link to the website...)

Let me know if there's anything you need me to do!

Thanks Again,

Kevin
Artistic Co-Chair, SIR

---

Hi Bri,

As a bit of a sidebar, I wonder if you're familiar with Caryl Churchill's play "The Skriker"? It's an incredibly complex, fascinating treatment of traditional English folklore for adult contemporary audiences. If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment